The book exceeded my expectations. It is filled with stories of many different families including big families, small families, families on bikes, unschooling families, families who follow a classical model, families who homeschool preschoolers, high school students, and everyone in between.
I am hoping this will be a book that will help others see that homeschooling can be a great option for their family. The book states: “We are not going to tell you what is best for you or your kids because we don’t know you or your options. The goal of this book is to let you see the nuts and bolts of what homeschool is and make sure you know it is an option for you.” I love this sentiment.
The editor asks each family a variety of questions that help you get to know them better. Everything from "Why did you decide to Homeschool?" and "What does your typical day look like?" to "What animal does your child remind you of and why?" There is truly something for everyone in this book.
I found myself renewed from reading the book as a seasoned home educator. The book reminded me that everyone does not always have great days homeschooling, but it is important to remember daily why you have chosen to home educate. I enjoyed seeing the variety of ways families home educate. I am incorporating some of their ideas into our family.
It comes in Kindle format or Paperback. You can check them out on Amazon.
Here is a list of the families included in the book in the order they appear.
- Kristen – The Frugal Girl
- Lee Binz – The HomeScholar
- Nancy Sathre-Vogel – Family on Bikes
- Natalie Klejwa – Visionary Womanhood
- Carlie Kercheval – So You Call Yourself A Homeschooler
- Lorilee Lippincott – Loving Simple Living
- Elizabeth Schmidtberger – The Hesitant Housewife
- Jill Britz – Tiny and Small
- Stephanie Langford – Keeper of the Home
- Heidi Scovel – Mt. Hope Chronicles
- Heather Sanders – OMSH
- Wendy Hilton – Homeschooling Blessings and Hip Homeschool Moms
- Teri Helms – TommyMom
- Tabitha Philen (Penny) – Meet Penny
- Bambi Moore – In the Nursery of the Nation
- Marcy Crabtree – Ben & Me
- Carisa Hinson – 1+1+1=1
- Joy Miller – Five J’s
- Megan Spires – House of the Rising Sons
- Toni Anderson – The Happy Housewife
- Mandi Ehman – Life. Your Way
- Danielle Zigmont – Organizational Hysteria
- Kerry Beck – How To Homeschool My Child
- Nicole – By Word of Mouth Musings
- Kelly – Generation Cedar