Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Best Seat In the House

This is a reflection on homeschooling and having a senior.



Time . . . .I remember when my 17 year old son was young.  I remember when I had 4 children 4 and under.  The days were so long and I honestly thought they would last forever. . or maybe they just seemed like they would last forever.  I got up, got people dressed, fed everyone, cleaned up, played with everyone, fed them again, cleaned up again, more playtime, nap time (yeah!!), quickly ran around and tried to do laundry, cleaning or anything else I could do all the while watching the clock, put dinner together, survive the worst hour of the day between 4:00pm and 5:00pm and would wait for my husband to come home.  I added in home education, and I was convinced my life would go on forever in about the same way.




I have this feeling lately that I am looking at an hourglass that is emptying.  My son is a senior in high school.  I am not sure how that happened.  I am watching the end of the sand run out.  Though I am thrilled to see him grow up, and become a young man I can't help remembering that little guy I helped with math.  The one who danced with his sister just home from China on the train table.

I watch him interact with others, write essays, and explain his home education with pride at college and scholarship interviews.   He has embraced his uniqueness and he is happy.  Everything I could have hoped for I am watching play out.

Now to watch the last of the sand run out, and know another part of his life will begin.  Hoping and praying I have prepared him well.  So glad I home educated and had so much time with him. Glad I got to watch him become the person he was created to be. Glad I endured those long early days so I could I rejoice with him now.

So hold on friends.  The journey is worth it, and you will be so glad you stuck it out.  You have the best seat in the house.

6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe ������ that was so lovely. You made me cry! My daughter is graduating this year (thx to all of your help and advice) and tho I am so proud of her I can’t help but cry a little bit when I think of her becoming an adult. “The days are long but the years are short”. I remember the first time I read that and everything clicked. I am so grateful that I could stay home with my kids to help and watch them grow. It’s hard letting go, they will understand when they have their own little ones. 18 years goes by so fast....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Renee Thank you!

    @Nik Thank you for your kind words. It really is incredible to be able to watch them grow and then now let them go. :-) Like you said. . how did it go by so quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful and so true. How blessed we are to have the best seat in the house!! This has been a year of great change for me, I have two away at college, a freshman and a sophomore. How my heart longs for the days when they were still here with me. How thankful to God that I am for each and every moment He has given to me with them. How blessed we are!!! Praying for you and your family always. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so thankful for the times we have with our children, we will cherish those memories I'm sure for many more years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every moment is so precious. It is easy to forget that during the day to day things that happen for me. Thanks for writing and your prayers.

    @Bev Being able to cherish time with our kids is a gift. I hope you have many many more. :-)

    ReplyDelete