Monday, August 06, 2012

Math About the House . . . Money-Elementary

More money! In Georgia I taught with a lovely lady names Trudy.   Trudy was always making something out of practically nothing for her students to use in her classroom.  I would pop over just to see what she had that week.   She introduced me to the money die.  She had her husband, Mr. Turner,( whose name we actually did not know) made these amazing money die for her.

They are scraps of wood cut down in 1.5 to 2 inch square pieces.  Mine are actually not exactly square.  You take a one inch drill bit and drill down 1/8 inch.  I used the following money combinations for my six sides: 1 quarter, 2 dimes, 2 nickels, and 1 penny. Then hot melt glue the money onto each side.  I used real money.  I think you could use pretend money, but I would use a different glue.



The object of the game is to practice adding money.  You can use one or two money die. Each person needs a piece of paper and a pencil. 

Directions:
1.  Roll the money die. 
2. The player writes down the first amount that they roll.
3. The next player rolls and does the same thing.
4. On the second and subsequent rolls the player adds the roll to the current total on his/her piece of paper.  They are working towards doing this in their head.  They cross off the last number and write down the new total.
5. Both players keep going until one player reaches a pre-determined amount. I would suggest  $1.00.

Variations on this game are to use two money dice.  Follow the above directions but roll both at the
 same time.




I found the game Presto Change-O at a yard sale for $1.  My kids have really enjoyed it.






Another good money game  involving money is Monopoly.

~Becky


No comments:

Post a Comment