Thursday, September 16, 2010

Getting ready for next year's assessment or record-keeping.

This is a great time of year to think about a plan for your child's 2010-2011 assessment, or just keeping a good record of your child's work. That way when the weather begins warming up again, your records are in order.

I wanted to share what I do. I set aside a file folder with each child's name on it. I then choose a date. (maybe your child's birthday, a number in the middle of the month you pay bills on, or your anniversary date) I use the 17th as it is our anniversary. On the 17th of each month I put aside a dated work sample from each subject into the file folder for each child. I may add a picture of a project my kids are working on, or some art work. I also write some notes on the inside of the folder or on a sheet of paper noting any progress my child has made that month. At the end of the year, I have my work samples ready for an assessment. This method also helps me to celebrate the progress my children have made during year. It is easy to forgot those things in the grind of life. We have our new assessment forms up for the 2010-2011 school year. You may want to include those in the folder as well.

I would love to hear how others take care of record keeping. Write a comment and let us know.
Happy Filing!

9 comments:

  1. i do nothing right now so i love your idea. or.. i guess i do do something right now..i ...save... EVERYTHING. It's the 17th... maybe i'll pull something aside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i do nothing right now so i love your idea. or.. i guess i do do something right now..i ...save... EVERYTHING. It's the 17th... maybe i'll pull something aside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! A system is always helpful for me. It then is one less thing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep a notebook with a daily record (dated) of each subject covered. I add comments about
    how my son did, if he had trouble
    with something or not. I keep a large yellow envelope for loose papers. I try to remember to date each paper he completes so I can keep track of when they're done and how he's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea LMS!! Do you save every single piece of paper or a sampling?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep loose leaf papers in a three ring binder that has tabs for each subject. This helps my kids keep track of what they have done and no more, "I can't find it!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea LMS said about keeping a journal of how things went for her son. This is a great way to look back at the year and see if those areas need to be addressed again next year or if they have been mastered in the year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This seems like a great idea. I will be new to homeschooling this fall, and I really don't know how much to keep. Keeping everything seems like too much for me, but I didn't know how to decide what to keep. This really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad it was helpful! The key is a system. You really do not need every scrap paper they complete. You want paperwork that reflects progress.

    ReplyDelete